In honor of this 50th anniversary of Earth Day we are highlighting five ways to help our planet.
Leading scientific studies have shown that human activity has caused habitat lost, global warming and catastrophic natural disasters. Time is running out to reverse the damage that has been done.
Here are five easy ways you can quickly and effectively protect and preserve the environment and wildlife:
1. Decrease your meat consumption including dairy products. This is the best thing you can do to lower your carbon footprint and it is great for your health. Going vegan is ideal, but we know it is not realistic for some people so instead try to only eat animal products (meat, dairy, cheese, butter) 2-3 times a week for one meal only. Take it a step further by committing to leave four legged animals off your plate (raising them does the worst damage to our environment). Try getting your family and friends involved to do a thirty day vegan challenge twice a year. There are so many great alternatives out there, we promise you will not miss anything- yes even bacon.
*Sad truth: Farm animals are the number one producer of methane- one of the leading greenhouse gases. This combined with the effects of raising them produce more pollution than all forms of transportation combined. Today animal farming (including crops it takes to feed them) takes up more land than the 8 billion people on earth do.
2. Use your spending power to support eco-friendly companies. Your money for goods and necessities has already been allocated, you just need to shift it to support brands that work to protect our environment. Vote with your wallet.
3. Make conscious decisions to live minimally. Try to become a zero waste household- say no to extra packaging and single use plastics. Start by bringing your own cup to Starbucks and your own utensils to work. Plastic pollution has reached catastrophic levels.
4. Say no to Palm Oil. It has snuck into everything and has a lot of different names so read your labels. Precious jungles and rainforests around the world are being torched at an alarming rate to make room for Palm Oil farms and farm agriculture.
5. Get active, vote, volunteer, sign petitions, spread the word. Let this identity transcend through all aspects of your life- what you wear, what you eat and where you shop. Never wear fur or leather (vintage is better, but remember tip 1), always rescue pets and keep standing up for the voiceless.
The earth needs us, Mother Nature, our children and all of the precious wildlife need us. Lets be the light.